No machine required here – this is mainly hand-stitching, plus some ironing. Once you get the hang of these origami Christmas decorations, you won’t be able to stop making them!!
Top tip – try making this with paper first so you get the idea of how to make it (you won’t need to iron or stitch). Once you’re happy with the technique, go ahead with your favourite Christmas fabrics.
You will need:
– Two 6″ squares of cotton fabric
– Thread to blend with your fabric
– A button or sequin
– 5″ thin ribbon or cord
– Hand sewing needle
– Iron and board
**Warning – this decoration requires you to iron quite frequently which means your fabric can get too hot to handle! Make sure you let it cool between each step – and keep your fingers well out of the way of the iron!!
- Take one of your squares – fold into quarters and press to find the centre point. Open out with the wrong side of the fabric facing up.
2. Fold the sides into the centre – press and secure in the middle with a couple of stitches.
3. Fold the bottom up to the middle, opening out and pleat the sides to form a boat. Press. Repeat to fold the top down to the middle so you get a lozenge shape. Press again.
4. Lift one corner and fold in on itself as below. Press. Repeat for all of the corners.
5. Fold both edges of one small square into the middle and secure with a stitch.
6. Repeat for all four corners.
7. Repeat steps 1 – 6 above for your second square.
8. Take one of the squares – turn over so the plain side is towards you – fold the corners to the centre and secure with a few stitches.
9. Place the smaller square on top of the larger one as below – stitch in place.
10. Add a button or sequin in the centre and a hanging loop – your decoration is complete. Don’t forget to send us a photo of your makes – or tag us on Instagram and we’ll re-gram your photo!