Hi everyone, Sarah I here!
Hope you enjoyed hearing from Laura last week, I am super impressed by her finished quilt – absolutely beautiful!
So you may be like me, a little behind with the Sew-Along…but that’s ok! There is plenty of time to finish so don’t worry, all the instructions are still here and available for you to use.
I started this project as a complete novice quilter and I have learned SO MUCH since April. Like Laura said, I also looked forward to the weekly instructions and review posts each week, definitely a treat during lock down. Getting started was quite hard, even getting used to the sewing machine.
I’d like to share with you a few highlights throughout my journey so far…
- I love this block, a favourite of mine.. I don’t know about you, but I have a pile of gorgeous fabric that has been waiting to be used, so it was a pleasure to use it for this.
- I made a few mistakes along the away, had to unpick various parts of blocks to get it right. Mostly sewing the wrong sides together. I learned it’s so important to read the instructions carefully and re read!!
- Cutting the fabric precisely takes a long time but is SO worth it and makes it easier in the long run.
- I’m really enjoying working out the placement of my blocks, cornerstones and sashing!
- You’ll notice I had to add a border on my drunkards path block like Laura did! For some reason is turned out a little smaller than it was supposed to. Not going to lie, I struggled with this block, but I am pleased to say I finished it, it’s not perfect but I’m quite proud of my attempt.
- Unfortunately when I re-sized the blocks to make them all the same, some have lost their points! It’s all a learning curve.
- I’ve started to sewing everything together and I’m enjoying seeing it develop.
- Lastly, I’ve been a bit naughty – I’m half way through making a baby quilt for my friend (using beautiful Lewis and Irene fabric). I should really have finished the Sew A-long quilt first but got distracted – does anyone else have this problem with their sewing? 😀 I definitely have caught the quilting bug!
We’d love to know how you are getting on with your quilt! Don’t forget to tag us on insta @youngishquilters